|Bulb Order For Spring 2018 Received, 1779 Bulbs|
Despite the warm weather constantly reminding the team that they were in the middle of, what turned out to be, a record equalling summer, for a few days in July they had to forget about this summer and start to prepare for the winter and spring by choosing the bedding plants and bulbs needed to create next year's displays. The first order to arrive this week were the bulbs that had been ordered from Peter Nyssen Flower Bulbs & Plants . The contents of the two large boxes were unpacked, checked and put into storage until the team are ready to plant them in the few months, the bulbs chosen are:
- Tulips, 7 varieties, 'Exotic Emperor', 'Green Triumphator', 'Mount Tacoma', 'Orange Princess', 'Ronaldo', 'Turkestanica', 'White Triumphator'
- Narcissus, 13 varieties, 'Baby Moon', 'Beautiful Eyes', 'Hawera', 'Lieke', 'Martinette', 'Pencrebar', 'Petrel', 'Pipit', 'Pueblo', 'Rip Van Winkle', 'Sweetness', 'Tet Boucle', 'Tete-A-Tete'
- Allium, 3 varieties, 'Ivory Queen', 'Karataviense', 'Purple Sensation'
- Lilium, 2 varieties, 'Claude Shride', 'Night Flyer'
- Anemone 'Blanda White Splendour'
- Camassia 'Cusickii',
- Fritillaria, 2 varieties, 'Meleagris', 'Imperialis Aurora'
- Muscari, 2 varieties, 'Azureum', 'Latifolium'
- Puschkinia scilloides 'Libanotica'
|GM Free Vegetable Starch Bag (NOT PLASTIC)|
|Bedding Plant Delivery From Ball Colegrave|
A second delivery arrived late yesterday afternoon, 3 trays of bedding plants, a total of 690 small plug plants from Ball Colegrave all needing to be potted up into their own individual pots before the end of today.
|Three Trays of Plug Plants|
|Pushing The Wallflower Plug Out Of the Tray|
|Wallflower Plugs Ready For Potting Up|
Ordered during the first week in July each tray contains 230 plug plants, 1 tray of Wallflower 'Sunset Orange', 1 of Wallflower 'Sunset Primrose' and 1 of Primula 'Husky Mixed Daffodil'. To reduce the risk of mixing up the contents the trays were worked on one at a time, gently easing the tiny plug plants out of their cells by pushing a pea stick up through the hole in the tray beneath each plant. Now free from the confines of their plug tray cells the young plants were potted up into their own 9x9x10 centimetre pots which contain a 50/50 mix of John Innes soil based compost and Petersfield seed compost. Put in to trays for easy transportation from the greenhouse, the pots were carried out to the cold frames and placed out in orderly rows. Given a good watering they will remain in the frames until about the middle of October when they will planted out with the bulbs in to the borders and pots for the winter-spring displays of 2018/19.
|The First Few Dozen Wallflowers Potted Up|
|230 Wallflowers In Individual Pots|
|Primula Plugs Potted Up|
|One Of Two Cold Frames Full Of Potted Up Plants|